Get to know our Endeavor Mentor Melissa Davis, Founder and CEO of Elev8 Hire Solutions, in this mentor spotlight.
Why did you decide to join the Endeavor Network?
I love Endeavor’s mission of helping transform economies through Entrepreneurship, which aligns well with my mission of making meaningful connections so people can flourish.
Tell us about your background and why you decided to become a mentor.
My expertise is in hiring. Hiring is one of the hardest aspects of growing a business. I have spent the last decade learning from hundreds of startups that I have helped grow, along with my own. My gift is giving back to my community the lessons I have learned along the way.
What are the most important qualities and characteristics that mentors should have?
- Wisdom, someone who has walked in entrepreneurs’ shoes before, dealt with the obstacles they will deal with and built processes and procedures they will need to grow.
- Curiosity, asking the right questions to help them solve their problems.
- Objective listening skills.
- Empathy and compassion, because Entrepreneurship is not always rainbows and sunshine.
- Trust, someone to share their 5% best and 5% worst with.
- Accountability, helping entrepreneurs stay on track and focused.
Any general advice for entrepreneurs?
Systematize every process and procedure from the beginning. It is the only thing that will allow you to delegate and scale. It sounds easy, but you will be shocked at how much effort goes into maintaining processes and procedures and developing the discipline it takes to always follow through with them. It is what sets you free to do the things you are best at as you grow.
What are you reading?
Fanatical Prospecting by Jeb Blount. A great reminder of tried and true sales techniques.